In 1913, Deysher and Lafargue enlarged their building to two stories with a cement floor and a turn-table so cars could drive into the room and be turned around. The upper story was arranged so cars could enter from the side street. The building also had the highest flagpole in town.
By the 1930's, Deysher and Lafargue Garage (shown above) was a multi-purpose machine shop, gas station, freight center and dealership for Willys-Knight and Overland autos. Today, the Deysher & Lafargue site is fittingly home to three auto repair shops (San Anselmo Auto Body, Auto Haus II and Ross Valley 4X4).
The building to the right of Deysher and Lafargue, was constructed in 1924 for the Durham Garage and included a Dodge sales and showroom. The Spanish Colonial Revival style building was designed by noted San Francisco architect and Ross resident, Samuel Heiman. Heiman described the building as "tending more to the artistic than the heretofore plain standard garage." The false front parapet hides the building's flat roof. Marin Oil Burner Company, H. C. Little Heating & Sheet Metal and Clark's Furniture were other businesses that operated in the distinctive building.
100 years of transportation history in San Anselmo provided by The San Anselmo Historical Museum
Established in 1990
Then & Now: San Anselmo's Hub
The San Anselmo Hub was an ideal location for businesses that had to do with transportation.
San Anselmo's Hub, historically the intersection of the Ross Landing/Red Hill Road and the San Rafael/Olema Road, has long been an ideal site for roadside businesses related to transportation.
At first horses, buggies and wagons were tended to at the intersection in the late 1880's by Theodore Mundt. His blacksmith shop was followed by Cochrane's. Then in 1904, William Deysher took over and opened his blacksmith shop, where he repaired and painted carriages and shod horses (at a cost of $0.85). Deysher took in partner Ben Lafargue, and they expanded the business into a plant manufacturing rail cars, trucks and fire engines. They built San Anselmo's first motorized fire truck and the car for the Fairfax Incline Railroad. It was a booming business.